November 6, 2007

A Better Outlook

As a follow-up to my last post...things are looking up! I think I was in a grumpy mood and feeling sorry for myself, so again, I must apologise for the ranting that occurred. Since that week of the "friend funk", I have had a few girls contact me and had some nice chats. In those conversations I realized a few things about myself. I realized that a lot of my feelings regarding the friendships I have and want are more about me finding who I really am now. What I mean by this is that I am going through a huge change adjusting to being a stay-at-home mom. I know I've been a mom for almost 9 months now but it's more than that. I finished working away from home, no longer going into the office twice a week and I think that after working in the office with my friends and co-workers for 4 years, it kind of freaked me out to be done with that. I am no longer in a social setting that keeps me connected with people, I am now in the world of a 9 month old. This is a really great thing...but scary because it's something I've never know before. I realized that friendships are going to be more of an effort and I am going to have to put myself out there to nurture friendships that I hope to grow stronger. It's not about the popular crowd and fitting in but more about who I want to take the time and make the effort to get to know and who I want to truly know me. I am focusing on who I care enough about rather than what others think about me.

I also realized that in order to make the effort, I'm going to have to stop being such a home-body and be the one to make plans with friends, family and other moms. I am thrilled to have my Tuedsay's freed up so I can join MOPS at my church and know this will be a huge help in making new friends and getting to know others on a deeper level.

Justin and I want to take the initiative to invite people over for dinner and get to know couples. I want to make play-dates with other moms and their kids to take walks, go to parks, shop together, meet for lunch and coffee. I also would love to plan a Bunko night and just hang out!

So...I have a better outlook now. I'm feeling proactive about frindships and am creeping out of my pity-party. I'm going to a Movie night on Friday, having friends over for dinner Saturday, and will attend my first MOPS meeting next Tuesday...Go ME!! :)

No comments: